In the early 1900s, southern Sacramento County residents longed for a library, prompting the Cheerful Workers Club to gather over 100 books, entrusted to teacher Etta Planalp from 1906 to 1908. On November 15, 1908, the collection became a Sacramento County Free Library contract station, with custodian Mrs. Jennie McMullin. The Galt Free Library Club quickly expanded, opening a reading room in April 1909. After several relocations, the Marian O. Lawrence Library debuted on July 20, 1993, at 1000 Caroline Avenue, honoring a dedicated schoolteacher and former Galt mayor.


